What is a Metafield?
In Shopify, the metafields object allows you to store additional information for products, collections, pages etc. There are several apps in the Shopify App Store that one can use to manage metafields.
As far as the metafields in Klevu Search are concerned, they can be used as the additional attributes holding additional information about the products that you may want Klevu Search to index and search to bring the relevant products back in the search results. It is also possible to use them as facets and allow your shoppers to filter the results.
The guide below explains how to use metafields in Klevu Search.
Indexing the metafields with Klevu
- Login into Shopify Admin Panel
- Go to Apps → Klevu Search → Settings
- Click on the Manage Metafields link
- Here, fill the title, namespace, and key of the metafields
- If you want to show the Metafield as a facet in search, please tick the UseAsFacet checkbox
- Click on the Save button
- Finally, to synchronize these metafields with Klevu Search, please go to Klevu Merchant Center → Catalog Sync → On-demand Sync and click on the Sync Now button
- Klevu will index the metafields and they will start appearing as facets (if UseAsFacet is selected) in the search results
Does the indexing of metafields slow down indexing?
Beta functionality notice: We are currently trialing a new approach using GraphQL for synching metafields, which may improve sync times for some stores. Please click here for more information.
Unfortunately yes, it will slow down the collection of data for indexing. We use Shopify's API calls to collect the product data. Whilst, with a single API call, we are able to fetch data for more than one product ( allowing us to gather the data at full speed), unfortunately, it isn't yet possible to do the same for metafields. We have to fire one call per product to obtain the metafields information. Given the restrictions on the number of API calls we can fire per second with Shopify when the metafields are configured to be used with Klevu Search, the entire process of collecting data slows down (i.e. up to 600 calls every 5 minutes and 1200 calls every 5 minutes for the Shopify plus account).